Bourbon is a type of American whiskey that is made from corn. It is named after the French Bourbon dynasty, though it is unclear whether the dynasty has any connection to the whiskey. Bourbon is typically aged in oak barrels, giving it a distinct flavor. Some say bourbon is sweet, while others find it smoky and woody. This blog post will explore the opinion that bourbon is sweet.
Is Bourbon Sweet?
The History Of Bourbon NZ
Bourbon has been produced in New Zealand since the early 1900s. The first distillery was established in 1909, and the industry has continued to grow since then. Today, there are numerous bourbon distilleries across the country, each with its unique style and flavor.
Bourbon is a type of whiskey made from a grain mash of at least 51% corn. The rest of the mash is typically made up of rye, wheat, and barley. Once the mash is fermented, it is distilled and aged in oak barrels for a minimum of two years.
There are several different types of bourbon, including Kentucky bourbon, Tennessee bourbon, and straight bourbon. Kentucky bourbon is the most popular type of bourbon in the world and is also the most commonly produced in New Zealand.
How Is Bourbon NZ Made?
- The first step to making bourbon is to find the perfect location. The climate and geography of New Zealand are ideal for growing the grain needed for bourbon.
- Once the grain has been harvested, it is time to start fermentation. This is done by combining the grain with water and yeast and then allowing it to sit for several weeks.
- After fermentation, the mixture is then distilled to remove impurities.
- The distillate is then aged in oak barrels for a minimum of two years.
- Finally, the bourbon is bottled and ready to be enjoyed.
Bourbon is a delicious spirit that can be enjoyed neat, on the rocks, or in a cocktail. If you’re looking for a truly unique bourbon experience, try it in New Zealand style.
Why Is Bourbon Sweet?
So why is bourbon sweet? The answer lies in the process of aging. As the bourbon ages in the oak barrels, it slowly takes on the flavor of the wood. The sugar in the wood helps to give bourbon its characteristic sweetness.
Bourbon is a unique and delicious spirit, and the aging process makes it special. So the next time you enjoy bourbon, remember that the sweetness is part of what makes this whiskey so unique.
In conclusion, bourbon can be either sweet or dry, depending on the type of bourbon and the recipe used. Visit us at Ellerslie Liquor Centre to buy bourbon online NZ.